For some strange reason, I can’t wrap my head around the fact that it is already MID August… It feels like just yesterday summer was starting and I was enjoying the beautiful weather and all of the wonderful things that summer brings!
Like these beautiful bright & juicy strawberries 🙂 Any dessert with them just screams summer to me. I think it’s because my best friend Victoria & I became best friends over a jar of her mom’s homemade strawberry jam. It brings back a lot of good memories!
You could substitute the strawberries in this recipe with other fruits such as peaches, cherries, or blueberries. Any would make such a nice treat at the end of a hot summer night.
This crisp will last 2-3 days if refrigerated, but let’s face it.. there’s no way it’s lasting that long 😛
Here’s to enjoying the last long days of summer!
- Servings: 6-8
- Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Author: Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 5 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose four
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons Stirling Creamery Unsalted Butter, cold & cubed
- 2/3 cups quick oats
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the chopped strawberries, flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt and vanilla and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon with a whisk until all the lumps from the brown sugar are gone. With your hands, mix in the butter until there are only pea-sized pieces of butter remaining. Mix in the oats and set aside.
- Place the strawberry filling into a 9-inch pie dish, or similar sized pan. Then, sprinkle the topping on the strawberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Make sure that the topping reaches this golden brown colour– this is what gives you the “crisp” texture!
- Cool slightly & Enjoy 🙂
- This will last for 2-3 days covered and stored in the fridge.